Back

ⓘ Langwasser is a district of Nuremberg in the southeastern area of the city. It was developed as a prototype of the satellite town concept in the 1960s and is pr ..



Langwasser
                                     

ⓘ Langwasser

Langwasser is a district of Nuremberg in the southeastern area of the city. It was developed as a prototype of the satellite town concept in the 1960s and is primarily a suburban residential area. The name Langwasser comes from a small stream bordering the area on its eastern edge.

                                     

1. History

At the beginning of the 20th century, the area that would become Langwasser was heavily wooded and part of the Imperial Forest. After devastating forest fires between 1917 and 1919 the area was cleared and used for farming.

                                     

1.1. History Nazi era

Prior to World War II, the area which had been cleared by fire became an important site for the Nazi movement. Beginning in 1934 it was the site of various tent cities and encampments. The area originally housed a tent encampment of the Reich Labor Service RAD and later the Hitler Youth HJ. Permanent camps for the SS, SA, HJ, and RAD were built near the Nuremberg Rally Grounds. The Langwasser camp, with space for 200.000, was the largest. At the outbreak of World War II, party rallies ceased and the compound was converted into a prisoner-of-war camp known as Stalag XIII-D, which housed up to 150.000 prisoners until closing in 1940. In this camp during August 1940, prisoners of war celebrated a "special Olympics" called International Prisoner-of-War Olympic Games where prisoners of Belgium, France, Great Britain, Norway, Poland, Russia and Yugoslavia took part. United States military records report that 6.676 American POWs were transferred there late in the war.

                                     

1.2. History Post-war period

The history of Langwasser as a district begins after the Second World War in 1949. For ten years the area was a mixture of refugee camps and temporary housing developments. Construction of the first permanent housing developments did not begin until the 1950s. Many German refugees from Silesia and from the Sudetenland made Langwasser their new home.

The facilities were used as internment camp by the US occupation army. During the Nuremberg trials 21 witnesses - members of the SS - were moved to the camp on July 17, 1946, from the Palace of Justice to the camp.

                                     

1.3. History Modern times

The modern history of Langwasser begins with the decision of the city of Nuremberg to develop a planned community in the area marketed with the slogan "living in the country". An architectural competition was held in 1956, with construction beginning the following year. Construction was not fully completed until the 1990s.

A part of Langwasser Nordost around Euckenweg is apparently carfree, although with underground garages.

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →