Back

ⓘ Institutional District. The Institutional District of Worcester, Massachusetts is an historic district encompassing a significant concentration of civic and mun ..



Institutional District
                                     

ⓘ Institutional District

The Institutional District of Worcester, Massachusetts is an historic district encompassing a significant concentration of civic and municipal buildings north of the citys downtown area. It is centered on Lincoln Square and Wheaton Square, and includes properties on Main, Salisbury, and Tuckerman Streets. It includes the 1840s Worcester County Courthouse, the War Memorial and Memorial Auditorium, and the former Worcester Historical Society building at 39 Salisbury Street. The 1897 Worcester Art Museum is included in the district, as is the c. 1890 armory building at 44 Salisbury Street. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Prior to its institutional uses, this part of Worcester was largely owned by the Salisbury family, whose progenitor, Stephen Salisbury I, opened a store at Lincoln Square in 1772. Salisburys grandson, Stephen Salisbury III, was a major local industrialist, and began donating and selling portions of the family holdings in the 1880s. His donations included land for the Central Church, Boys Club, Art Museum, Auditorium, and War Memorial. He was a major benefactor of the museum, bequesting it the family collection. The Salisbury Mansion and Store, now owned by the museum, are located just outside this district.

                                     

1. Contributing properties

  • Worcester Art Museum, 55 Salisbury Street 1897, by Stephen C. Earle, with later additions
  • Worcester War Memorial, Lincoln Square 1935 by Lucius W. Briggs and Frederic C. Hirons
  • Worcester War Memorial Auditorium 1932, by Lucius W. Briggs and Frederic C. Hirons
  • North High School, 46 Salisbury Street 1889, by Fuller & Delano
  • Worcester National Guard Armory, 44 Salisbury Street 1890, by Fuller & Delano, with addition 1907
  • Worcester County Courthouse, 2 Main Street 1845, by Ammi B. Young; 1878 addition by Stephen C. Earle; 1899 addition by Andrews, Jacques and Rantoul; 1950s addition non-contributing.
  • Central Church, Salisbury Street 1885, by Stephen C. Earle
  • Worcester Womans Club aka Tuckerman Hall, 10 Tuckerman Street 1902, by Josephine Wright
  • Worcester Historical Society, 39 Salisbury Street 1981, by Barker & Nourse
  • Worcester Industrial Technical Institute aka Worcester Voke, 2 Grove Street 1909, with additions 1916-1917 by Frost, Briggs & Chamberlain
  • Worcester Boys Club 1930, Lincoln Square by Frost, Chamberlain & Edwards
Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →