This is a list of laser types, their operational wavelengths, and their applications. Thousands of kinds of laser are known, but most of them are used only for specialized research.
A dye laser is a laser which uses an organic dye as the lasing medium, usually as a liquid solution. Compared to gases and most solid state lasing media, a dye can usually be used for a much wider range of wavelengths, often spanning 50 to 100 nanometers or more. The wide bandwidth makes them particularly suitable for tunable lasers and pulsed lasers. The dye rhodamine 6G, for example, can be tuned from 635 nm to 560 nm, and produce pulses as short as 16 femtoseconds. Moreover, the dye can be replaced by another type in order to generate an even broader range of wavelengths with the same l ...
A gamma-ray laser, or graser, is a hypothetical device that would produce coherent gamma rays, just as an ordinary laser produces coherent rays of visible light. In his 2003 Nobel lecture, Vitaly Ginzburg cited the gamma-ray laser as one of the thirty most important problems in physics. The effort to construct a practical gamma-ray laser is interdisciplinary, encompassing quantum mechanics, nuclear and optical spectroscopy, chemistry, solid-state physics, and metallurgy - as well as the generation, moderation, and interaction of neutrons - and involves specialized knowledge and research in ...
Ring lasers are composed of two beams of light of the same polarization traveling in opposite directions in a closed loop. Ring lasers are used most frequently as gyroscopes ring laser gyroscope in moving vessels like cars, ships, planes, and missiles. The worlds largest ring lasers can detect details of the Earths rotation. Such large rings are also capable of extending scientific research in many new directions, including the detection of gravitational waves, Fresnel drag, Lense-Thirring effect, and quantum-electrodynamic effects. In a rotating ring laser gyroscope, the two counter-propa ...
A tunable laser is a laser whose wavelength of operation can be altered in a controlled manner. While all laser gain media allow small shifts in output wavelength, only a few types of lasers allow continuous tuning over a significant wavelength range. There are many types and categories of tunable lasers. They exist in the gas, liquid, and solid state. Among the types of tunable lasers are excimer lasers, gas lasers such as CO 2 and He-Ne lasers, dye lasers liquid and solid state, transition metal solid-state lasers, semiconductor crystal and diode lasers, and free electron lasers. Tunable ...
ⓘ Laser types
- hybrid materials used as laser matrices. Other types of solid - state organic lasers include the organic semiconductor lasers that use conjugated polymers
- A laser warning receiver is a type of warning system used as a passive military defence. It detects, analyzes, and locates directions of laser emissions
- only a few types of lasers allow continuous tuning over a significant wavelength range. There are many types and categories of tunable lasers They exist
- Far - infrared laser or terahertz laser FIR laser THz laser is a laser with output wavelength in between 30 - 1000 µm frequency 0.3 - 10 THz in the far
- capsule plasma. United States Naval Research Laboratory Excimer laser Krypton fluoride laser List of laser types Nike KrF Laser Facility at navy.mil
- Laser - hybrid welding is a type of welding process that combines the principles of laser beam welding and arc welding. The combination of laser light and
- Laser surgery is a type of surgery that uses a laser in contrast to using a scalpel to cut tissue. Examples include the use of a laser scalpel in otherwise
- Laser hair removal is the process of hair removal by means of exposure to pulses of laser light that destroy the hair follicle. It had been performed
- materials like steel plate. There are three main types of lasers used in laser cutting. The CO 2 laser is suited for cutting, boring, and engraving. The
- Pulsed operation of lasers refers to any laser not classified as continuous wave, so that the optical power appears in pulses of some duration at some
- A helium neon laser or HeNe laser is a type of gas laser whose gain medium consists of a mixture of 90 helium and 10 neon at a total pressure of about
Users also searched: