Back

ⓘ Powers Dry Goods. The Powers Dry Goods Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota was a department store chain that, at its peak, consisted of 7 locations. Powers was fo ..




                                     

ⓘ Powers Dry Goods

The Powers Dry Goods Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota was a department store chain that, at its peak, consisted of 7 locations.

Powers was founded in Minneapolis as the S.E. Olson Co. in 1881, but was acquired and renamed St. Paul dry-goods merchants by Alanzo J. and Fred Powers. It was itself acquired in the 1920s by Associated Dry Goods.

In 1985, it was acquired from Associated Dry Goods by The L.S. Donaldson Company also of Minneapolis, a unit of Allied Stores Corp., which gave Donaldsons some breathing room against dominant rival Daytons. In 1987, after Campeau Corp.s buy-out of Allied Stores Corp., Donaldsons was purchased by Carson Pirie Scott & Co. of Chicago, Illinois which made the ill-fated decision to rename the stores with its own name.

Carsons in its turn was acquired by P.A. Bergner & Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and formerly of Peoria, Illinois in 1989, which in turn filed for bankruptcy in 1991. In 1995 Carsons sold the rump of the former Twin Cities area locations formerly Powers/Donaldsons to Daytons parent Dayton Hudson Corp., which re-opened most of them under its moderate Mervyns chain, mostly in a move to prevent serious competition in its Twin Cities stronghold. In 2004 when Daytons successor Marshall Fields was acquired by May Department Stores, it also agreed to buy the former Donaldson/Powers locations operated by Mervyns, and promptly shuttered them, selling the real-estate piecemeal.

                                     

1. Stores

Among those stores, in 1960, was stand-alone department store in the Highland Park neighborhood of Saint Paul, Minnesota, which was converted to a Carson Pirie Scott store and ultimately razed in 1994. The St. Louis Park, Minnesota store in the Knollwood Plaza mall was razed and rebuilt becoming a Kohls store. There had been stores in the Blaine, Minnesota Northtown Mall as well as the Maplewood, Minnesota Maplewood Mall. The first store was located in the center of the Minneapolis shopping district at 215 Nicollet Avenue.

                                     
  • son of Benjamin and Rebecca Potter Palmer. Potter Palmer founded a dry goods store, Potter Palmer and Company, on Lake Street in Chicago in 1852. Unlike
  • Several states continued to be dry states in the years after the repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment, but in 1966 the last dry state Mississippi legalized
  • johads and other water conservation structures to collect rainwater for the dry seasons, has brought water back to over 1, 000 villages and revived five rivers
  • such a large for the period quantity was on the goods train by refining liquids produced by the dry distillation of cannel coal from the Flintshire coalfield
  • negotiated a treaty, where the Dutch surrendered the fortress and left all the goods and property of the Dutch East India Company behind. In return, most Dutch
  • Nigeria. This waterway is impassable in the dry season, however, and road is the preferred means of transporting goods through the area. Tourism in the North
  • government increasingly relied on the provision of monetary payments and dry goods to the Oirat Khan and the Oirat nobility. In that respect, the Tsarist
  • restricted by the short rainy season. The dry season is usually from November to early April. It is influenced by the dry north - easterly Harmattan winds, while
  • to be a clove. Cloves were traded by Omani sailors and merchants trading goods from India to the mainland and Africa during the Middle Ages in the profitable

Users also searched:

...
...
...