Back

ⓘ Herrengasse. The street existed during Roman times as part of the limes highway system. The first written mention of the street dates to 1216. The section of th ..




                                     

ⓘ Herrengasse

The street existed during Roman times as part of the limes highway system. The first written mention of the street dates to 1216. The section of the street between the Freyung and Lobkowitzplatz squares was known during the Middle Ages as HochstraSe High Street.

After Vienna began to establish itself as the imperial capital, the nobility known in German as Herren or Lords increasingly migrated to the city to be close to the Hofburg Imperial Palace, the residence of the Habsburg rulers. After the Estates of Lower Austria built their assembly house at the Palais Niederosterreich in 1513, the street was renamed Herrengasse.

                                     

1. Palaces

The typical layout of a noble palace Palais was the entrance facing the street, sometimes set a little way back, with lush gardens located in the back away from public view. Some of the Palais had multiple entrances from different streets. The Herrengasse used to consist almost exclusively of noble palaces, though some were lost during the course of time. One of the Liechtenstein palaces, located at Herrengasse 8, housed the famous Bosendorfer-Konzertsaal, a concert hall established in 1872. Famous artists such as Franz Liszt, Anton Rubinstein, Joseph Hellmesberger, Jr. and Hans von Bulow performed there. The palace was ripped down and replaced by a modernistic high-rise building in 1913.

After the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 and the end of the Second World War in 1945, many aristocratic families had to give up their city homes due to rising costs of upkeep. Many of the buildings were either rented or sold for commercial usage as offices and museums, or bought by the government and used by ministries. The Herrengasse has nevertheless been able to retain most of its original appearance and relative exclusivity. The buildings architectural style reaches from the Renaissance to the baroque and neo-baroque periods.

A direct subway connection to the U3 line has existed since the 1990s.

City palaces known as Palais which still exist include:

  • Palais Wilczek former Palais Lembruch, 1737, Herrengasse 5
  • Palais Modena today Federal Ministry of the Interior, 1811, Herrengasse 7
  • Palais Niederosterreich
  • Palais Batthyany integrates parts of the former Palais Orsini-Rosenberg, 1716, Herrengasse 19
  • Palais Porcia 1546, Herrengasse 23
  • Palais Mollard-Clary 1689, Herrengasse 9
  • Palais Trauttmannsdorff 1834–1838, Herrengasse 21
  • Palais Herberstein built in 1897, at Herrengasse 1-3

Right next to the Herrengasse is the Freyung square, where more aristocratic residences are located. Other noble palaces in the vicinity can be found at Minoritenplatz square.

                                     
  • Herrengasse 23 may refer to: Herrengasse 23 Bern a historic building in Switzerland. Palais Porcia Vienna the building at the Herrengasse 23 address
  • The Herrengasse Nobles Lane is one of the streets in the Old City of Bern, the medieval city center of Bern, Switzerland. It was the southernmost
  • Herrengasse is a station on Line U3 of the Vienna U - Bahn. It is located in the Innere Stadt District. It opened in 1991. Vienna U3 line Media related
  • The von Wattenwyl house on Herrengasse 23 is a historic building in Bern, Switzerland, named after the von Wattenwyl family who owned it for over 200
  • streets Brunngasse and Herrengasse were added. Brunngasse was a semi - circular street on the north edge of the city, while Herrengasse was on the south side
  • the IX. district Alsergrund de: Palais Liechtenstein Herrengasse a former palace on the Herrengasse de: Palais Liechtenstein Feldkirch in Feldkirch
  • Palais Ferstel is a building located in Herrengasse street, in Vienna. It was originally built as a National Bank and stock exchange building in 1860
  • front of the new cathedral. At some time before 1506, two houses on Herrengasse were demolished to allow the plaza to expand westward. It expanded again
  • over seven times the annual rent. Gallery St. Mark s Church and Herrengasse Herrengasse Mittlere Gasse and well Exhibition apartment Exhibition in World
  • entrance also at Herrengasse 13 Landeshauptmannschaft formerly Statthaltereigebaude, Minoritenplatz 9, entrance also at Herrengasse 11 Located on Minoritenplatz