Back

ⓘ Marcus & Co.. Marcus & Company, founded by William Elder Marcus and later joined by George Marcus and their father, Herman, a German-born former employee of Tif ..




Marcus & Co.
                                     

ⓘ Marcus & Co.

Marcus & Company, founded by William Elder Marcus and later joined by George Marcus and their father, Herman, a German-born former employee of Tiffany & Co., began as a partnership with George B. Jacques as Jacques & Marcus. The business changed its name to Marcus & Co. with the retirement of Jacques in 1892.

It was located at 17th Street and Broadway in Manhattan.

The designers used gemstones such as zircons, chrysoberyls, tourmalines, opals, garnets, beryls, spinels, and peridots. French miniature portraitist Fernand Paillet designed a pendant for them.

The company was sold to Gimbels in 1941. It merged with Black, Starr & Frost in 1962.