Back

ⓘ Immervad, previously Emmervad, is a pedestrian street in Aarhus, Denmark which runs north to south from Lille Torv to Åboulevarden and Frederiksgade. The alley ..




Immervad
                                     

ⓘ Immervad

Immervad, previously Emmervad, is a pedestrian street in Aarhus, Denmark which runs north to south from Lille Torv to Åboulevarden and Frederiksgade. The alley Sankt Clemens Stræde leads to Immervad from the east. The street is situated in the historic Latin Quarter neighborhood and has existed as a road or street since the Viking age when it was used as the eastern ford to cross the Aarhus River. Immervad is fairly short at just 110 meters long but it is one of the streets with the most foot traffic in Aarhus. At the southern section of the street is the bridge of Frederiksbroen, the first bridge built to cross the river in the city.

Immervad is home to Magasin du Nord, one of the largest department stores in Aarhus, and runs next to the recreational space of Vadestedet The Ford on the street of Åboulevarden which runs perpendicular to the southern end of Immervad.

                                     

1. Etymology

The name Immervad is unique as a street name in Danish cities. The ending "vad" refers to the Danish word "Vadested" Ford while "Immer" is of unknown origin. It is possible Immer is the German word meaning "Always", an allusion to a ford that can always be crossed. Another theory is that the original spelling Emmervad refers to a person named Emmer who may have lived by the ford. A third theory states that Emmer was the leftovers after creating slaked lime, used to stabilize the river floor at the ford. However, there are also indications that the name was not known in the Middle Ages as sources from 1512 mentions the street as "the street to the bridge".

                                     

2. Frederiks Bridge

The southern section of Immervad is the bridge Frederiks Bro or Frederiksbroen. It is not known exactly when Frederiks Bro was built but it existed in the 1400s when Brobjerg on the south side of the bridge was settled. The bridge was early on known as Brobjerg Bro Brobjerg Bridge and from the 1600s to 1824 as Basballe Bro after one of the prominent merchant families that lived on Immervad at the time. In 1824 the street south of the bridge was renamed Frederiksgade after King Frederik VI who visited Aarhus at the time and at the same time the bridge was renamed to Frederiks Bro. In the 1930s the section of the river which runs through the city proper was paved over and the bridge was dismantled. In 1989 Aarhus City Council officially adopted a policy to reopen the river and between 2005 and 2008 the section from Immervad to Vester Alle was reopened and a bridge reestablished. The name Frederiks Bro is not a well-known in daily parlance as a much larger and more prominent bridge on Frederiks Alle carries the same name.

                                     

3. Buildings

In the Middle Age the street was home to "helligåndshuset" House of the Holy Ghost, part hospital, part nursing home and part gust house, but the building fell into disrepair after the reformation and was eventually replaced by a large merchants building. Immervad was situated close to some of the main thoroughfares in the city such as Vestergade and the river harbor so it was an ideal location for merchants to establish themselves. By the late Middle Ages Immervad was characterized by a number of large and prominent merchants mansions with warehouses, stables etc. Few of these buildings remain today although the adjacent Maren Smeds Gyde contains a warehouse from that period. The largest and most prominent mansion was built in 1597 and was through time inhabited by several of the mayors of the city until it was bought by the merchant Poul Pedersen Frausing in 1788. The building remained in the Frausing family until 1901 when it was taken down and moved to Tangkrogen for the Danish National Exhibition of 1909 to serve as a museum. It subsequently became the first building in the Old Town Museum, known as the Mayors Mansion.

In 1871 the store Magasin du Nord moved from Vestergade to Immervad where it has been situated ever since. The store has been expanded a number of times and in the 1960s the current complex was built, dominating the western side of the street. Today the street is dominated by the large department store from the 60s and 70s on the west side and older buildings on the east side.



                                     
  • crisis of 1857. Initially it was housed in the 1st floor of a building on Immervad owned by the bookseller THeodor Valdemar Thrue. Between 1880 and 1885 the
  • with bike was unveiled on Åboulevarden where it overlooks the river and Immervad towards the Latin Quarter. List of mayors of Aarhus Steffen Bernhardt
  • Original located at Lilletorv Lesser square at the corner of Vestergade and Immervad at the site of present - day department store Magasin du Nord. The merchant s
  • initial settlement was laid out in elongated fashion along the fjord from Immervad in the west, which functioned as a ford, to the coast in the east where
  • 1974 Owl 1975 Marselisborg Slot Marselisborg Palace 1976 Vibæk Mill 1977 Immervad Bridge 1978 Greenland Scene 1979 Choosing The Tree 1980 Bringing Home The
  • Hærulf Runestone Created c. 10th century Discovered Immervad Jutland, Denmark Rundata ID DR 15 Runemaster Unknown Text Native Old Norse : Hærulfr Translation

Users also searched:

...
...
...