Back

ⓘ Salisbury Center Historic District. The Salisbury Center Historic District encompasses the historic town center and main commercial district of Salisbury, Conne ..




Salisbury Center Historic District
                                     

ⓘ Salisbury Center Historic District

The Salisbury Center Historic District encompasses the historic town center and main commercial district of Salisbury, Connecticut. Established in 1741, it has served in that role since, and now reflects a typical 19th-century small town center. It extends along Main Street, between its junctions with Library Street and Under Mountain Road. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

                                     

1. Description and history

The town of Salisbury, located in Connecticuts northwest corner, was incorporated in 1741, and thrived economically on the exploitation of iron ore which had been found in its hills. This resource was overtaken by technological advances by the American Civil War, and the town experienced no significant further economic growth. The town center developed in the mid-1740s, with the Bushnell Tavern established in 1746, and the cemetery in 1750. A portion of the original tavern survives in altered form at 6 Factory Street.

The historic district is bounded on the north by the triangular town green, formed by the junction of Main Street and Under Mountain Road, and the White Hart Tavern, a rambling building dating to about 1800. The southern end of the district is anchored by the civic buildings of the town hall and the Scoville Library, both set on large landscaped lots. The town hall is a modern construction from 1988, but retains traditional features such as clapboard siding and pilasters, while the library is an 1894 Romanesque stone building donated by a local benefactor. The commercial district is a roughly three-block area set between these, with modestly scaled two-story buildings, many of which are former residences converted to commercial use.

                                     
  • Salisbury Center Bridge is the only covered bridge in Herkimer County, New York State. It was built in 1875, and is a wood frame Burr Truss bridge measuring
  • historic preservation, with five Local Historic Districts and ten National Register Historic Districts Salisbury is the home to North Carolina soft drink
  • Leonard Wailes Law Office are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Salisbury s location at the head of the Wicomico River was seen to be a
  • Lime Rock is a village and historic district listed as Lime Rock Historic District in the town of Salisbury Connecticut, United States, situated on
  • Salisbury Center Grange Hall is a historic Grange Hall located at Salisbury Center in Herkimer County, New York. It was built in 1899 and occupied by the
  • The Rowan - Salisbury School System also called Rowan - Salisbury Schools is a PK 12 graded school district in North Carolina covering nearly all of Rowan
  • Scoville Memorial Library is the public library of Salisbury Connecticut. Established in 1803, it was the first in the United States open to the public
  • The Salisbury Academy Building is a historic school building at 9 Old Coach Road in Salisbury New Hampshire. Built in 1796, the building has housed a
  • The Depot Square Historic District encompasses the historic commercial business district of Randolph, Vermont. Developed in the mid - 19th century around

Users also searched:

...
...
...