Back

ⓘ J. B. Williams Co. Historic District. The J. B. Williams Co. Historic District encompasses a historic 19th-century factory complex and related family housing in ..




J. B. Williams Co. Historic District
                                     

ⓘ J. B. Williams Co. Historic District

The J. B. Williams Co. Historic District encompasses a historic 19th-century factory complex and related family housing in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Located on and around Hubbard, Williams, and Willieb Streets, the area includes a mid-19th century frame factory as well as later brick buildings, and houses belonging to its owners, members of the Williams family. The soap factory operated by the Williamses was one of the otherwise agrarian towns largest economic forces until its mid-20th century decline. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

                                     

1. Description and history

James B. Williams, a native of Lebanon, Connecticut, came to Manchester in 1834, where he began experimenting with soap formulations while working at a general store. In 1840 he established a small shop for soap production there, which met with success. In 1849 he moved to Glastonbury, where he acquired the site of a former gristmill owned by his first father-in-law, Jerusha Hubbard. The industrial complex on the south side of Williams Street is where this business developed, eventually growing to include buildings on the north side of the street. The business peaked in the 1920s, employing about 300 workers, and was Glastonburys largest single employer. It was sold out of the family in 1957, with the facilities used by their successors until 1977. The surviving factory buildings which include four brick buildings and a rare wood-frame building from the mid-19th century, have been converted into residences.

In 1859 J.B. Williams built an elaborate brick Italianate mansion on Willieb Street, set on a hill overlooking the factory. His son David built a Queen Anne/Shingle style house in 1892 on Williams Street, and another son, Samuel, built a fine Georgian mansion on Hubbard Street. The oldest building in the district is a much-altered c. 1740 house known informally as "Grandfathers House", as it was where Jerusha Hubbard lived at the time of the Williams purchase.

                                     
  • The Boston Edison Historic District is a historic neighborhood located in the geographic center of Detroit, Michigan. It consists of over 900 homes built
  • Snow Hill Historic District is a national historic district located at Snow Hill, Greene County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 229 contributing
  • B H. Dyas Co was a Los Angeles sporting goods retailer that turned into a department store and went out of business in the 1930s, owned by Bernal Hubert
  • Creator: B Altman Co 1894 Metropolitan Museum of Art. Artist Creator: B Altman Co 1883 Metropolitan Museum of Art. Artist Creator: B Altman Co 1881
  • GAS: Historic Federal Buildings Judge John Kilkenny, 93, Dies The Oregonian. Oregonian Publishing Co B 01 February 20, 2000. U.S. District Court
  • Lorado Taft Midway Studios Unterseeboot 505 Ida B Wells - Barnett House James Charnley House Daniel Hale Williams House Second Presbyterian Church Bishop Hill Colony
  • Hansen House, C.M. Wood House and Green McBee J B Ingram House. The Catlin Court Historic District is located in the area bounded by Gardenia Ave.
  • Wilson High School One or more works in 27th Street Historic District along 27th St., Los Angeles Williams Paul NRHP - listed One or more works in Berkley
  • Williams is a common European surname. This list provides links to biographies of people who share this common surname. Contents: Top 0 9 A B C D E F
  • Sedona. The town became a National Historic Landmark in 1967. Not all structures within the district qualify as historic This is because most are owned

Users also searched:

...
...
...